Indian Hill Cemetery Tree WalkIt's that time of the season again apple, pumpkin picking time and of course fall foliage will be at its peak so join us for our fall tree walk with tree experts John Kehoe and Lucy Meigs as they lead us through a tree walk through Indian Hill Cemetery in Middletown.
The walking tours will take place on Saturday October 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM (Rain date October 30, 2016)
The one-mile walking tour will be a celebration of large variety of beautiful, old trees. The approximate two-hour walk will focus on 15 to 20 tree species of the over 30 species. Indian Hill Cemetery and its surroundings will be a beautiful setting for a wonderful fall day. It offers one of the highest outlooks in the Middletown region, overlooking the majestic Connecticut River Valley including the Arrigoni Bridge and much of Middletown. The Cemetery, part of the America Beautiful movement, was established in 1850 and spans more than forty acres. The concept of the America Beautiful movement was to create cemeteries as park-like settings.
As part of a grant from The Rockfall Foundation, this walk is a joint program of Indian Hill Cemetery and the Connecticut Forest & Park Association.
The walk is open to the public and is free of charge. Refreshments will be available, so bring your cameras and walking shoes. Indian Hill Cemetery is located at 383 Washington St, Middletown, CT. [Click here for directions]
Indian Hill Cemetary Builds ColumbariumMIDDLETOWN, Connecticut - April 26, 2012 - The Officers and Board of Directors of Indian Hill Cemetery, are pleased to announce the installation of the cemetery's first cremation columbarium.
Delivery will take place on May 2, 2012 at which time the unit will be placed on a foundation.
The granite unit includes 64 double niches, installed on a flat stone surface, with areas for reflection and placement of remembrances. The niches will be available to the public June 15, 2012.
The entire exterior columbarium project was designed by Watertown Cremation Products of Massachusetts.
Indian Hill Cemetery was dedicated on September 30, 1850. Its officers were: Samuel Russell, President; Samuel D. Hubbard, Vice President; Thomas Brower, Secretary; and Joseph Taylor, Treasurer.
At the dedication, the Rev. Frederic J. Goodwin delivered the dedication address. Following is an excerpt from his address.
We have assembled here today for the performance of a very important duty. We are here to set apart these beautiful Grounds for a peculiarly sacred purpose. We are here to consecrate them exclusively to the service and repose of the dead. In every respect it is well for us thus to be here. It is well for us thus to be mindful of the departed. It is well for the living thus to provide for the dead.
Indian Hill Cemetery has been in continuous operation for 162 years and is now moving into another phase of burials by offering a special place for cremains to meet the needs of this generation and future generations.
For more information, go to our website, www.indian-hill.org
# # #